Saturday, June 25, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Quilted flowers from a project I designed on EQ6.

Here is a peek at my gardening progress this year and some quilt gardening I've done in the past.  I hope your summer garden is growing well. How many quilters garden too?  The plants I've seen in blogland gardens this season are amazing!  Do quilting and gardening go hand in hand?  Leave me a comment and let me know if you have a garden and what you are growing.  I'd love to here about what quilters are growing in different parts of the country and in different parts of the world!  How does your garden grow? 



My clivia is finally blooming again!!  It hadn't bloomed in a few years and I was inspired by one of Needled Mom's posts showing pictures of her blooming clivia to do some research to see if I could fix the problem. 


The answer was either more water or fertilizer......I kicked it up a notch on both with amazing results!
Thanks, Needled Mom! 

Do you see my friend?  I only saw him right before I was about to trim this area of the bushes.  I'll bet he's glad I  saw him!


Habanero peppers make yummy salsa and guacamole!! 



Banana Peppers are great on sandwiches and burgers.


Copper takes a minute to smell the flowers......I think he likes to sneak his picture on my blog too! 

Quilted sunflowers are just as nice....and last longer. 


The garden sunflowers are getting tall.....its funny to watch the squirrels try to climb them to get the seeds!

Right now we need to water often!  We could use some rain!

 So let me know how your garden grows and what you are growing in it.  I'd love to read your comments!  Also, I'd like to thank some new followers for reading my blog.  It's always nice to meet some new friends and know someone is reading all of these posts! Enjoy summer!

9 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your flowers, grown and quilted. In the northeast we need hardy plants - peonies, pansies, marigolds, roses, hollyhocks, variety of daisies, zinias, black eyed susan, and day lilies. Yes, flowers inspire color and design. (no vegies this year)

Anonymous said...

Sweet Cooper...taking the time to stop and smell the flowers. Good dog!

Needled Mom said...

Your clivia looks fabulous!!!! It is such a pretty color.

Your garden is looking great. Those habaneros are lloking fabulous. Do you grow something year round? We have a big garden as well with the tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, cucumbers, dill, onions, shallots, garlic and strawberries. In the winter we do the lettuces, brocolli, and peas. We also have a large herb garden and an orchard with about 40 trees. Gardening is a full time job around here!!!!

AnnieO said...

My garden is dismal for the most part--thank goodness daylilies are like iron. We were given two cherry tomato plants so that is the only edible growing just now. Thanks for sharing all your flowers, fabric and living! I love clivia and used to have some at our first house.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wish I would send you some of our rain. We've been eating leaf lettuce out of our garden for a few weeks.

Houseelf said...

Lovely plants. My garden needs weeding. I like herbs and roses and fragrant climbers. Strong fragrances and strong colours in my sewing. Maybe there is a link?

Linda said...

Plant and garden pics are gorgeous!!! I really love your quilted sunflower!! Nice that it lasts forever and no watering!! :-)

Cheryl said...

Great flower art! Did you draw them yourself? I have a small vegetable garden where I grow carrots, bush beans, zucchini and pumpkins. I have a greenhouse with tomatoes, bell peppers and eggplant. I am always working on my perrenial garden...if the deer will just stop coming to dinner each night!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Greetings from Tunisia! Your garden theme hits the mark! Your garden quilts are great and I like your small quilts as well. I find my garden encroaching on my quilts and a number of my quilts are garden related, especially as I live on a small citrus farm. I've got to admit, however, that I have more succulents than flowering annuals. Succulents are so sturdy for Tunisia's warm climate. Thanks for sharing photos of your garden.
best, nadia