Monday, April 29, 2013

Changed up Hat Trick




It's time again for the Schnibbles parade!

The first of the May will be first Vintage Schnibbles parade of the year!  WooHoo!

Sherri and Sinta have once again graciously agreed to host the parade of small quilts on their blogs at the beginning of each month.

Be sure to stop by and visit!

It's so fun to see the wonderful variety of quilts, all made with Schnibbles patterns designed by the amazing Carrie Nelson.

I hope you can join us by creating your own quilt too!


  




Speaking of variety, that's certainly the category that my Hat Trick quilt falls into this month!

Mine didn't turn out quite like I planned!

Simply Color and Cuzco were the bright, fun charm packs I mixed up to make it. 

I was going to follow the original pattern Carrie created, but I made the mistake of choosing side corner squares and background fabrics that were a bit too busy for the pattern, at least that's what it looked like to me once I got it all laid out.

  My attempt at low volume ended up being a bit too high volume for me!




  

No worries!  I'm not showing any pictures of that phase of the quilt. It wasn't pretty!  Thank goodness I don't even have any!

It just looked too blended together.

 So, it was back to the drawing board!  






I decided I could salvage the quilt and make it even better than I had originally pictured, by leaving out the nine patch blocks from the center of the X's and substituting some quieter blocks all around the quilt.

I switched from charm squares to Kona Snow for the background fabric, which helped tremendously!  

Now I love it!






I still intend to make a quilt just like the original Hat Trick pattern someday. I'm kind of disappointed that it didn't work out for me this time.  

I'd also like to make a quilt using low volume fabrics too!  This just wasn't meant to be the one.  I need to collect some true low volume fabrics to make it work.






I discovered that this is not a pattern that I could jam so many busy fabrics in and expect it to be fine.  I knew it was a bit risky to try, but it all worked out in the end.

At least I think so!

I guess there is no harm in changing plans as you go along.  I need to keep that in mind and take some quilting risks more often.  

Not knowing exactly what you might end up with adds to the fun!!




26 comments:

Needled Mom said...

It looks really pretty though! I love the colors.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

So pretty! I love your colors and you made it work...

Izzy said...

It's beautiful! I love what you did with it.

ytsmom said...

I love it!

JoAnne said...

This looks incredible! So many people are tweaking this pattern--it is going to make for some great parades. I can't wait. I'm hand stitching my binding down tonight.

carol fun said...

Oh I love your version! Such great color and pattern!

Candace said...

Sometimes little mistakes can turn out to be happy accidents! I love your Hat Trick, Michele!
Cheers!

Carrie P. said...

Well, your redo sure is pretty. I bet the other top was pretty too.

Mama Pea said...

Love it! Bright and cheery!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Oh, I think it is beautiful!!! So cheerful and I love the Kona Snow, it makes the most wonderful background for so many of the bright, cheerful fabrics!

Joyful Quilter said...

Bright and cheerful! You didn't have a plan that didn't turn out, you had a planning adventure (I say something similar to my driving, I never get lost I just have adventures). Great adventure quilt!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Very pretty. Perhaps you could rename it "Change of Plans."

T Holzer said...

It turned out great! Way to go.

Cheryl said...

I like the new version! The fabrics are so crisp and fun.

Nicole said...

Fabulous! I love it. So colorful and fun.

Meredith said...

I love how this turned out!! Very fun - love the colors!

Oddbjørg said...

A lovely colourful quilt!

Oddbjørg said...

A lovely colourful quilt!

Patti said...

I'm like you - I almost always go for more subdued fabrics. I think your quilt top is a wonderful, happy, summery and scrumptions! I normally would never work with such bright fabrics either. In fact, I have hardly any of them in my stash. But I love your quilt so much that I'd like your permission to make one like it. I have many fabrics left from my youngest granddaughter's quilt, and they would be perfect in a quilt such as yours!

em's scrapbag said...

I love all the bright colors and fabric in this quilt. Sometimes a change in plans works out for the best.

Sinta Renee said...

Sometimes quilts just evolve! And yours came out just beautiful. Your adaptation was a success!

Thelma said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE your Hat Trick. It's going to be my favorite in the parade, I just know it! I tried to change my version up a little too but I prefer your version so much more than mine. Very Clever, Very Pretty. Great Job. It's it wonderful to have our Schnibbles Sew Along back!

Jackie at Adirondack Urban said...

Ooh I really like your change up!

Lynette said...

This is *fabulous* - LOVE your changes. :D

Lynne said...

That is one stunning quilt! Wow!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I LOVE IT!!