Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Fat Quarter Shop Pincushion Sew Along with Sherri McConnell


Aren't pincushions fun?

They're cute, useful and quick and easy to make!

 I'm so excited to show you the cute pincushion I made over the weekend using the new Cute As A Button Pincushion video on the Fat Quarter Shop YouTube Channel designed by Sherri McConnell for The Fat Quarter Shop!







After I watched this instructional video featuring Kimberly from the The Fat Quarter Shop and Sherri from A Quilting Life,  I raced over to my cutting area, pulled out my fabrics and my rotary cutter, and got started. 

It was that easy!

You can watch the video here by clicking on the arrow.






I used the Valley fabric line by Sherri and Chelsi for my pincushion

 The combination of light and dark fabrics worked great for this project.







The ribbon I chose was loosely woven and I was a little concerned that the ends might fray and get kind of messy while I was sewing up the sides.

A quick zig zag stitch over the ends of my ribbon fixed that right up and there was no fraying at all!








For the back, I wanted to use a piece of fabric from the Valley line which wasn't a heavy fabric like Kimberly recommended in the video.

To make my backing fabric a little heavier, I simply layered a piece of muslin the same size as my backing fabric piece wrong sides together, and stitched an eighth of an inch away from the edges all the way around the rectangle to hold the two layers together.

This gave the back of my pincushion a little more weight and stability to contain the walnut shell pieces.
    







Now, I have an adorable new pincushion to add to my growing collection!

There are some that I've made and some that I've been gifted by friends.


Sewing my Valley pincushion made me interested in creating a few more.

I'll definitely be using lots of those walnut shells soon!    








If you make one of Sherri's pincushions yourself, and I hope you do, use the hashtag #cuteasabuttonpincushion when you're sharing, so we can see what you created!


Be sure to check out the Fat Quarter Shop's latest pincushion blog post at the Jolly Jabber, along with the other stops on the Fat Quarter Shop Pincushion Sew Along with Sherri to see more versions of this cute pincushion.

Kitty from Night Quilter

Amanda from Jedi Craft Girl

Nicole from Modern Handcraft

Jessica from Quilty Habit

Jessee from Art School Dropout

Tina from Emily Ann's Kloset

Angie from Gnome Angel

Sinta from Pink Pin Cushion

Melissa from Happy Quilting



Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Hildy said...

I love your pincushion and the tutorial is great especially the tip with the 90° seam and the start and finish so you can turn the pincushion easier ... I'll definitly do this from now on.

Jessica said...

I love your fussy cutting! Beautiful work!

Rosa said...

Love them all.

Izzy said...

So cute! I might actually try to make one of those for myself! :-)