Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Quilting and a question




Last night I finished up some quilting.

My goal was to have this Christmas Schnibble ready in time to put out for the holidays and I'm happy to say it's much closer to being a finish!  

I quilted in the ditch down each row, then I echo quilted the stars. 

I also quilted the same star shape in each strip block, using a template and a vanishing marker.


I'm still waiting for the marker to completely vanish, but I feel sure that it will.









My original plan was to trace a star to make a template to use on the strip blocks.

I'm not sure how that would have worked out.  Thankfully, my junior high son wanted to try his hand at making the template himself using just a ruler and a compass.

Geometry is his favorite class this year. 

He measured the length of the star and off he went.

He returned with an amazing star template, no tracing necessary!

I see lots of possibilities here......










Now that you've seen my well used template, edges covered with plenty of vanishing marker, I've got more to do on that quilt.


I need to bury the rest of the threads and I'm hoping to have that all done this afternoon, before it gets dark, which leads me to the question.

Do you have an Ott Light or some other kind of light that you use for sewing?

If so, what kind do you have and how do you like it?

I try to finish any hand sewing before it gets dark, because it gets difficult for me to hand sew in regular lamp light.

Not a big deal for me until the time change.

I'd appreciate your help.

Now I'm off to quickly finish burying these threads and there are lots of them!




15 comments:

Terry said...

I love your stars! :0)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your quilt and stars look wonderful. I have a small Ott lite (bought just the Ott bulb much cheaper at a hardware store). I can clamp that lamp where ever I need - has a bendable long neck on it so I can really twist/turn, too.

JoAnne said...

I am the queen of lights! I simply cannot do anything without lots of light. I have a large desk ott light. It is the one that can either screw on to the edge of the table or it has a heavy stand you can use. It hovers over my machine. I also purchased Ecolux lighting for my machine. It is a strip of LED lights which sticks to the top of the inner "arm" of your machine. They are so bright and helpful! You measure your machine and then order the number indicated. If you Google for it, you will find it. It comes with the cord and plug that detach, so if you have more than one machine, you just need one cord and then extra strips of lights for your other machine(s). I'm about to order another one for my new Juki. Oh, the quilt is looking so great! How cool of your son to do the template, too!

Jacqueline said...

Love your quilt and the quilting. I do a lot of handwork but just sit by my lamp that has 2 60 watt bulbs in it. That seems to work ok for me.

regan said...

Love the quilt! Beautiful! And for handwork lighting, I've had a Beam & Read light for a year or so now. It has 6 LED lights on it, hangs from your neck, is very lightweight and gives a good light for your work......BUT......my friend recently got a little Ott light that can sit on the desk, but she attached a ribbon to it, and hung it from her neck. I watched her use it at quilt group the other day, and the light she gets from that is 10 times brighter than my Beam & Read. So I just went to JoAnns and picked up the little Ott light.....and it was 40% off right now (originally $20)! The Beam & Read was $30! Cripes! Hope this helps!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I could use a math lover at Loft Creations! I have an ott lite floor lamp in my sewing space near my machine. However in the evenings I hand sew by the light next to my chair. It's a regular lamp but gives good light. I also have a small portable ott lite if needed.

Izzy said...

Love the quilt and the quilting! As for the light, I'm going to follow the comments closely be ause I desperately need better lighting in my sewing space.

Sherri said...

I saw the new Dear Stella lights at market...they were amazing. I'm going to buy one for sure...they have table top versions now, but a clamp version is coming out soon...and I was thinking that might be better for my sewing table. It was a million times better than any Ott light I'd ever seen!

Candace said...

I guess I'm the 2nd Queen of Lights, Michele ;>) I have tried ALL of them, including reading glasses with little lights on either side (big flop). The Beam N Read is my absolute fav and I sew by hand every night. Also, I saw a new digital light similar to an Ott Lite at market this spring - very expensive, very nice, but for $20 or so the Beam N Read is perfect. You know when the batteries need changing because the light dims. I highly recommend it! Great job on the start by your son, too!
Cheers!

Joyful Quilter said...

Wow lots of quilting in such a little quilt but it looks great!

I have lots of different lights and like them all: a desktop Ott light (this is also my travel light), an Ikea bendable table light (I think it has LED lights - very bright) and a halogen desk light (which I like the best but it puts off a lot of heat).

Needled Mom said...

It looks terrific. I like the drafted star too.

I use an Ott-lite for my sewing and love it.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

It's a beauty! I have an Ott lite. big one. I use it for my cutting table since the room I sew in just has a basic overhead fixture and it's not bright enough. Got it for Christmas. Ask Santa for it. ;) And yes, you can get the Ott light bulbs MUCH cheaper at Lowe's than at Joann's.

Carrie P. said...

kids can be a great help with our quilts. I ask my daughter's advice a lot.
I have a folding table Ott light I use plus a regular lamp with a craft bulb in it.

Sarah said...

I have an ott light or similar brand on my table top next to my machine so I can see better in that room at night time. The overhead lighting is terrible, but it's a sunroom so during daytime it's brilliant! I also have a lamp in the lounge room with daylight globes in it that I use when hand stitching in front of the tv. Your Christmas schnibble looks great. I use my kids all the time. My 10yo daughter is really good with colour and design, and my boys are keen helpers when I spray baste a quilt and need help smoothing the layers.

Renee said...

What a great quilt! I love the quilting you did, I can't wait to see the whole thing!