Saturday, May 28, 2011

Finally, My New Cordless Iron and Charming Girls Goals!

My neighbors to each other:  "Why is Michele outside in the driveway taking a picture of an iron on a sheet?" 

My new iron arrived of Friday and I've been busy trying it out, but first I want to get to my long overdue Charming Girls Club Goals for May and June.

  • In May and June I'd like to get some more tops quilted!  I have a stack of lonely quilt tops waiting to be quilted, bound and finished!  I have backing, batting, binding and everything ready to go, I just need to get inspired and get them done.  I did well with part of this goal in March and April, by quilting some charity quilts to get warmed up again. Now I just need to continue quilting and get some of those tops quilted!  
Quilt backings and bindings ready to go!


Let's get quilting!

  • Pillowcases!  I'm making some for Carol with patriotic fabrics. If you haven't read about this project for her friend yet, it's not too late.  Please go visit her blog and find out how you can help.  A sports pillowcase for my younger son, made with some fun soccer fabric from my stash is also on my list of projects to complete.


Pillowcase plans.


Blessings from the Hollow blocks.

  • Le Petite for May is almost done.  It had better be......its May 28th!  But doesn't this look like a great project to work on during Memorial Day weekend?  I'll be sure to post a picture when I'm done.  This border fabric from my stash was what inspired the quilt.  I used the Fit To Be Geese ruler to trim down some of the flying geese but I didn't use the extra fabric that the ruler calls for, but more on that in another post.  The kids will be out of school in June and things will be busy, so LePetite for the month may or may not be finished by July!  Is that really a goal or is it more of a disclaimer?

LePetite in progress.

  • Use this new iron as much a possible!!  Quilting only of course, no ironing clothes will be done here!  LOL!! So far I'm loving this iron.  I really  needed a new one.  If you missed the story about the demise of my last cordless iron read about it here.  My new iron is the Panasonic Cordless 360 Degree Freestyle Iron which can iron in both directions!  What makes this possible is a curved soleplate.  Pretty cool.....let's hope not, it's an iron! LOL!!  Sorry, I couldn't resist after I typed "pretty cool"!  So far I've only ironed small pieces with it while working on my LePetite project last night and today, so I'll have to get back to you on how it works on longer seams.  It is on the small side, but I'm finding that works well with a small project.   Check back soon and I'll let you know how that ironing in both directions thing works out.        

The curved soleplate lets you iron in both directions.




18 comments:

Linda said...

Congrats on the new iron! Looks really nice! You are making great progress on all your projects!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You are so organized Michele! Lovely quilt tops and a new iron too.

Manda said...

ooo shiny new iron! :)
Loved the comment about your neighbours :)
Look forward to seeing those tops quilted!

Cheryl said...

Quite a stack of quilt backs! Looks like a great setup though for getting them quilted.
Your pillowcase fabrics are so patriotic and I love the Petite project colors too.
Anxious to get the verdict on that space age iron!

Anonymous said...

Love the stack of tops and seeing Blessings from the Hollow again...still waiting for a finish on that one! LOL

Anonymous said...

Your Le Petite look so beautiful! I can't wait for the full reveal. I love the patriotic theme...ours could match - ha ha!

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you! It will be fun to see the finishes.

The new iron sounds pertty cool! Does it have an auto shutoff?

Abby and Stephanie said...

Looks like you have some great goals and some great looking quilts to finish. Very interesting iron. I'll be waiting for an update later on. Let's hope it's "one hot iron."

Carol said...

Great goals...thanks for sharing your pillowcase fabrics! They're going to be great. Can't wait to hear about your iron!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

You are going to be busy. Great goals. You'll have to tell us more about the iron once you really get to use it. I'm curious about it!

Kim Brackett said...

You have a really interesting stack of tops there! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts about the iron. It does look really cool. I like the idea of the curved plate.

Candace said...

Hope you love your new iron and it looks like lots of cool finishes coming up. Love the Red White and Blue for Memorial weekend. I'm a little nervous of my Maytag cordless now, but I imagine the problem you had was a quirk, or at least I hope it was. I mostly use my non steam iron from Vermont Country Store.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

I would be very excited to hear about how you like your cordless iron...If it gets hot enough and stays hot. It sure seems like a great idea! I did the 820 on a frame and I LUV-d it. The BSR worked really good...then, i just wanted a bit bigger so i went with an Innova...=)

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

AnnieO said...

Very intriguing new iron. I'll be curious to read your take on it! A cordless iron sounds good to me.

Look at your stack of tops! That is a lovely pile indeed. You are well on your way.

I just bought a copy of Scrap Basket Sensations and love that quilt pattern too. So pretty in the fabrics you chose.


Good luck on meeting all these goals :)

Houseelf said...

Great goals! Love your long arm quilter. I'd love to have one but I am such a luddite I'm sure I would break it.

Good luck.

Dandelion Quilts said...

Congrats on the new iron. You will have to give me a review...what do you really think???

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

What pretty pictures!!! Goodness, you're going to be a busy girl! I can't wait to see all those quilt tops quilted and your pillow cases. Love your new iron - thanks for sharing with us!

Quiltn Mama said...

Love the 'neighbor' comment about the iron..I crawl around outside with my quilty paraphrenalia (sp?) trying to get that perfect shot. Bet they think quilters are a weird bunch LOL! Thanks for stopping by my blog, also!