Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Challenge Quilt Revealed!

Remember this post?  It was a sneak peek at the fabrics that I had to use for the Challenge Quilt for our local quilt show which opens today. "Look up in the sky and what do you see?", was the subject of the Challenge Quilt category.  After our trip to Hawaii this summer, I was inspired to make this quilt for the show.  Keep in mind that was dangerously close to the deadline to submit paperwork to enter, so it was full steam ahead to get it completed on time!  But I made it with less than a day to spare!

 'Island Life in Hawaii' is the name of this quilt.  It fits, don't you think? 



Can you find the Challenge fabrics in the quilt?  I like that they blend in and aren't too obvious.  I don't think the fabrics scream, "She had to put me in somewhere!"  I thought they did scream, "Hawaii", though.  How can that black not be used as volcanic rock?


A sea turtle with stuffing under the shell to give it more dimension. 


 The volcano is done with two different batiks and one of the challenge fabrics.  The batik for the lava coming down the volcano had to be pieced together so it would be wide enough.  Every fabric, except the challenge fabric and the fabric used for the ocean, came from my stash!  


A Hawaiian sunset!


 The pink fabric for this fish is one I would have passed over if I had been shopping for fish fabric, but when I was looking through my stash I thought it might work.  After I made a trial fish using the fabric. I was hooked!  LOL!!


This chenille used for the coral, was from a baby quilt that I made years ago. That stuff is certainly fun to fluff up!  My kids were eager volunteers for that job.   


 The yellow challenge fabric worked well for this fish.  It even has spots, like fish that have spots that look like eyes to confuse predators.  The first time I made him, I used totally black fabric for the fins and we decided he looked like he had a bad toupee, so I made him again. He looked much better with this tone on tone fabric I had used in a previous challenge quilt!


Being that I'm not a big fan of applique, this quilt was certainly a challenge for me! It was nerve-racking to put applique on a whole quilt first, rather than just one block at a time. Don't get me wrong, I love quilts with applique, as long as I'm not the one making them!  I'd like to work on applique to get better, but those pieced quilts just seem to call my name.  Maybe this is the start of something new for me!


16 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Wow what a fantastic quilt in every way. I love the textures, colors, detail. The quilting makes everything pop. Wonderful memory quilt too.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Wow, Michele - you did a great job! All the detail is just amazing. I'll make sure to look for it when I go to QuiltFest. It's probably even more amazing in person.

Gretchen said...

I love your quilt!! It's just fabulous!!! Hope you get a ribbon. If not, I'll give you one because it's just wonderful and I love your use of the challenge fabric

Linda said...

Seriously amazing, Michele!!! It's amazing the design you came up with, with just those two fabrics. You are so creative!! I love the quilting too. It just makes the piece come to life with all that dimension!! If they give ribbons...yours should get a blue ribbon!!!

Izzy said...

Michele - your quilt looks amazing! I love the colours, the quilting... everything! You are seriously talented and patient... I don't know that I would have had the guts to try all that applique work. Beautiful job!

Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, I think everyone has already said it...all I can say is DITTO. So colorful, you did a great job taking advantage of all the various patterns in the fabric.

AnnieO said...

You did a fantastic job, Michele, and look like it was fun while also wracking your nerves :) Great topic to inspire you!

JoAnne said...

I LOVE IT! And it looks just like Hawaii! (I should know, I live there.) I really like the fish, especially the saddle wrasse (the pink one.) See, I can even ID the species. I've been meaning to try some fish and now I'm inspired. Good luck on the Challenge!

Cheryl said...

Oh, this is fabulous! Being an underwater enthusiast, I covet your quilt and so would my DD. The quilting is also fabulous...enhances the design nicely. Love how you used the challenge fabric on the angelfish!!! Perfection.

Anonymous said...

Oh Michele, this is just wonderful! I love the theme (of course) and the colors and fabric choices are just perfect. Well done!

Jen said...

Wow, this is such an amazing quilt! Such an impressive job!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

You did such a beautiful job!!!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

What a wonderful quilt - I love the colors - and the creativity is amazing! Way to sew girl, way to sew!!!

Applique Time said...

Oh my! I cannot believe how absolutely amazing this is. Well done Michele!

Houseelf said...

Totally gorgeous! Love the colours you used- so inspired of you the way you used the challenge fabrics. You turtle reminds me of one I made for a lead window. It was an antique bit of yellow so not totally flat, so I knew it had to be a turtle shell.

So much stitching it your picture! It is so so good! I love how you did the zig zag on the volcano.

Dandelion Quilts said...

What a cool quilt. It is totally unique and fun. Great job.