Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Honeycomb Schnibble Finish!

My Honeycomb Schnibble for LePetite in August. 

Finished.....and I love it!  This one was tricky for me!  I was off to a rocky start and had to scrap, no pun intended, the whole first row I made because it was so wonky.  I was not a happy camper at this point.  This forced me to reevaluate what I was doing, try some alternate methods, and start over so I would end up with a straight quilt.  I tried to trim up that row, but to no avail.  It was a goner.

I realized to make mine work, I needed to starch like crazy, trim off the corners of the white triangles, and trim each color unit after I added the white triangle. Pressing the seams open helped tremendously! Once I got going, it was "all good" as my son would say.  I'm not sure why I wasn't using these methods to begin with! 


Carrie Nelson created this adorable pattern, and the fabrics I used in mine were Terrain by Kate Spain and some Kona solid.  I have never used Kona solids before...... yes, just gasp out loud and get it over with!  Are they a little extra stretchy?  Does anyone know?  I loved the fabric and it was really handy to use something that looked exactly the same on both the front and the back with these triangles and side pieces.  Maybe using Kona solid for the triangles with no starch was the root of my problem.  Should I always starch it?  Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.  Thanks so much for all of your helpful comments about my color placement on the last post.  It's so nice to be able to get input from my blog friends!      

Be sure to take a look at the others in the parade on Sherri's blog, and also on Sinta's blog in the next few days.  Thank you ladies so much for taking the time to put together the parade.  I'm sure there will be some beautiful quilts on display!   



14 comments:

Izzy said...

Hi Michele - Love your little quilt! I really cannot offer any wisdom as far as the Kona solids are concerned - I've never used them (I know, I know)! Great work!

Linda said...

Congrats!! Looks awesome!! Don't feel bad, initially it was a little tricky for me too!

Anonymous said...

This one was tricky, I found that the starch really helped a lot that and a lot of patience and pins.
Yours looks great, well worth all the effort!

carol fun said...

You did a wonderful job on this little gem- I love your choice of fabric. Pretty pretty pretty!

Lois Evensen said...

What a beautiful finished project. So very nice.

Houseelf said...

So cute and colourful. Well done!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Well it turned out beautifully. Worth the second effort.

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous...no wonder you are happy with it! Carrie told me she preps all her fabrics with starch since she does not prewash. Several designers are professing the benefits of starching fabrics before cutting and it doesn't have to be expensive. Carrie likes Niagara, if I remember correctly.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Congratulations...this quilt top is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful as always Michele! And, my oh my, what a lovely coffee table you have!

Joyful Quilter said...

Your Honeycomb quilt turned out great! Glad you were able to work out all of its issues, it's so easy to have a quilt become a UFO when we get frustrated with them. I'm mixed on Kona cottons, I love all the colors available but they seem heavier (denser) than most quilt fabrics, I've been using Michael Miller solids lately.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

No words of wisdom on the Kona. Your top looks fantastic!

Brooke said...

A lot of work!!! So worth it though. I have admired those Terrain fabrics, and I truly think this pattern showcases them perfectly. Love it.

AnnieO said...

I've recently heard that Kona solids are not as soft as Moda Bella solids, but can't tell you from any experience myself. I think your top looks wonderful!