Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Mini Juniper



I'd love to say that I'm finished with all my holiday projects after completing this Mini Juniper quilt top, but truth be told I've got a long, long way to go! Even with this quilt top!

I do have the binding chosen, and the backing too, and that's a start.









I'm using a red fabric that goes with the sashing squares for the binding, and for the backing its going to be a Dear Santa text print that's been in my stash forever.

Maybe it wouldn't have been my choice for this mini if I didn't already have it, but at some point you've got to use the fabric you've got on something, right?

Speaking of using the fabric you've got, I'm pleased to say that all of this quilt top fabric was from my stash!

 Yes, you read that right.

Who says you have to use Christmas themed fabric in a Christmas quilt? 

I used a Road 15 fat eighth bundle that I've taken pieces from here and there for other things. 

  I was a bit concerned that when the right project of this bundle came along there wouldn't be enough of it left, but this worked out perfectly.










I did change the border in my Mini Juniper from the one in the pattern instructions.

Mine is scrappy, so I could use those fat eighths, and its much wider too.  Some of it may get trimmed off in the end, once I've definitely decided how I'm going to quilt it.

Right now I'm thinking some kind of straight line quilting in the sashing and in the border, and then maybe some big stitch hand quilting around the trees.

 I just started doing my first big stitch hand quilting, besides some practice, last night on my Sweetness Floret mini quilt top.  I love the way its going! I'll have to take some pictures and fill you in on that later.









By the way, this was one fun mini quilt to make!

If you are considering it, you should definitely give it a try at some point.  The angles and the trimming made it so much fun!  I gave a few tips for you, and for me, in my last post if you're interested.

 I still need to get to my extra trees.  Maybe for a festive table runner?

So, I may not be all ready for Christmas, but I am ready for the Minis and More Parade next week!



11 comments:

Terry said...

It's beautiful! I actually prefer using non-Christmas fabrics in Christmas quilts. :0)

Béa said...

Very beautiful choice of fabrics, I Love.

Hildy said...

Love your top and I've already finished my top too, yeah! The parade can come:-)

Jodi said...

Ohh, I love this! Thanks for the pics and tips!

Needled Mom said...

OMGosh.....that turned out soooo cute in those fabrics. I love it.

Nancy E said...

Love your Mini Juniper! It looks great. Looking forward to the parade.

kshackabq said...

That is fabulous! Love your color combo! Way to go!!!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love, love, love this! The border fabric is such a smart choice!

Are you using wool batting? It is wonderful for hand quilting.

Izzy said...

I love this! Still looks christmassy, without screaming it! Can't wait to see the quilting you do on it.

Melissa said...

That is so, so cute. Love the blue border.

Helen L said...

How fun! I love it done in all the Sweetwater fabrics!! :-)