Tuesday, January 2, 2018

A new year and a new Minis and More Parade!



Happy New Year, friends!

Usually at this point in time I'm in the process of taking down the Christmas decorations and I'm ready to move on with a fresh clean slate in January, but this year I'm taking it a bit slower.

I'm not quite ready to part with our Christmas tree and all of the festive decorations.

I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's the cold weather we're having here in Florida right now.  It finally feels like the holidays!

There are even rumors of snow here tomorrow! Yes, snow here in Florida!

A few weeks ago, in December, it was ninety degrees and it didn't feel like the holidays at all and now that it's time to take down the tree, it's gotten cold.

I guess that's as good of a reason as any to keep the decorations up just a little longer!



The Minis and More Parade is also holding on to the holidays for a little more time.

This month's Parade is about the handmade gifts that you gave and received.

I'm certainly going to be taking notes for next year's gifts!





Patty D. from Elm Street Quilts made this adorable tomte pillow for her mom and lots of zip bags for family and friends. I had to look up the word tomte because I didn't know what it was and I discovered that a tomte is a customary Swedish character who is said to live a solitary life and safeguard a farmer and his family. Swedish families may acknowledge a tomte by leaving him a bowl of porridge on Christmas Eve.  I didn't know that.  Thanks for sharing your beautiful handmade gifts with us Patty and for encouraging me to learn something new!    











Our next handmade gift is from Sue H.  She worked on it and finished it over Christmas and she's now glad that she has it, since winter has definitely arrived in her area of the country.  It's beautiful, Sue!  We're so glad you sent it in!








Karen made this quilt as a gift for an longtime family friend.  She found making a quilt for a man quite a challenge and I can see how it would be tricky. She did a great job finding a pattern, fabrics, and quilting it, without a flower in sight!  I'm sure he loves it, Karen.  It looks wonderful!








Hildy had the great idea to put her own spin on a pattern by Gingiber when she made this cute cat pillow for her parents.  Hildy personalized it by making the cats look more like her own.  I love the  aqua background that Hildy used from the Desert Bloom fabric line.  Thanks for sharing, Hildy!








Nancy made this cute By The Chimney Mini with a pattern by Lella Boutique as a gift for her granddaughter.  She used both Holly Jolly and Merry and Bright fabric by Sandy Gervais.  The striped binding is the perfect touch!






Be sure to head over to Sherri's blog, A Quilting Life  to view the other half of the Parade and to take notes on some great gift ideas!



Our February Parade will feature the Hometown Mini Quilt Pattern by my cohost of the Minis and More Parade, Sherri McConnell.



Photo courtesy of Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life


I just love this adorable mini quilt!

A few charm squares, some scraps, and a little background fabric and you're ready to go!

If you participated in the December first
 Parade or in today's Parade, you'll be receiving this pattern free of charge by email as a participation prize.  I'll be sending them out very soon.

If you're new to the Parade, welcome!  We'd love to have you!  Feel free to make this month's mini quilt and email a picture to Sherri or to me to be in next month's Parade on February first.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

And to everyone who has participated in the Parade in the past, we're so glad to see you again and we're looking forward to another fun year of projects!

Happy quilting!

  

6 comments:

Hildy said...

I love the Tomte pillow and what a cute story behind it thanks for sharing with us.
The embroidery by Sue is gorgous what an amazing project.
I need to remember Karen's idea I'm always lost when I need to make a quilt for a man that's really not easy.
Thank you for including my pillow it was fun to play with the cat design and I love Sherri's & Chelsi's fabric for the background.
Thanks for hosting the parade and I can't wait to make the pattern for February. I'm already playing with some ideas.

Hildy said...

Forgot to add: I wish you a wonderful, great and amazing 2018!

Patty said...

Great projects! Thanks for the parade.

Little Quiltsong said...

Beautiful projects! Each one is unique and so cute! Always enjoy seeing what everyone makes!

Helen L said...

Great projects you all!! so fun to see what others are doing for gift giving!! Hugs, H

Tracie said...

Fun projects! I love the Tomte pillow since I have Scandinavian ancestors.