Friday, November 10, 2017

The Mini Charm Chocolates Quilt



I've picked up lots of Mini Charm Packs over the years.

They're also known as Moda Candy.

Maybe that's why I have so many! Just like candy, Mini Charm Packs are hard to resist. 

Those 2.5 inch candy fabric squares are so cute and compact!







I do wonder how much of our Halloween candy we gave out last week and how much Halloween candy we actually ate ourselves.......

Maybe I shouldn't think about that right now and get back to talking about fabric.......



I've used Mini Charms for lots of small projects like bags and mini quilts and I've used them to simply check out a new fabric line to see if it's one that I'm really going to like. 

They're great to determine if I want to order a little fabric or lots of it.  And they can be helpful in deciding what prints I'm going to like for borders and backings, and what prints I won't use as much of in a quilt.









Recently, I was introduced to a new use for Mini Charms, which was surprising to me, making larger quilts out of Mini Charms!

I had the opportunity to join in the Mini Charm Chocolates Quilt Along with the Fat Quarter Shop and I jumped on it!











Mini Charms Packs are great when you have a few of them, but I was definitely interested in checking out a pattern with a variety of quilt sizes involving either 3, 11, or even 20 Mini Charm Packs! 

And there's a table runner option too!


After opening up 1 of my 11 Manderely Mini Charm Packs and gathering some of my favorite background fabric, Moda Grunge in the color Pool, I started on my lap size quilt.

I was able to start on the sewing part quickly, because the only fabric I had to cut was the background fabric, my Moda Grunge.

Thanks to the Mini Charms most of the cutting was already done for me! 

And you know I loved that, because I have to admit the cutting is my least favorite part.  The less cutting that's involved the more I like the quilt!









I found that the best way for me to make the 24 blocks for the Mini Charm Chocolates Lap Quilt was to only open one Mini Charm Pack at a time and finish it, before opening another. 

That way I would get the most fabric variety possible in a block. So instead of having hundreds of fabric squares to choose from, I only had a few.

Definitely a plus for me!

It forced me to use some of those fabrics that may not have been my favorites, before I moved on to the next Mini Charm Pack and I was sure to have a pretty even amount of each print left as I approached the end of the quilt.

After making 24 blocks, I was ready to start assembling the quilt!








Another advantage to using Mini Charms that I wasn't even expecting, was the small amount of time that it took me to arrange the blocks.

There were so many different fabrics in the quilt that it was a no fuss layout!

 I've been known to ponder and change my block layout way too many times before I start sewing them together,  just ask my family, but this time there was such a large variety of fabrics I could just lay it out and then sew it up! 

I added a few strips of the background fabric to connect the blocks, then added the borders, and I was done.

I now have a fun, bright quilt made with tons of little squares, involving minimal cutting!

You can't go wrong there!








The Fat Quarter Shop made this pattern as a mini Shortcut quilt, a tablerunner, a lap quilt, and even a queen size quilt, so you've got lots of options.

I chose all of my Mini Charm Packs in the same fabric for my quilt, but I love mixing fabric lines too, so I've already pulled out all of my Mini Charms and my wheels are turning with new color combinations. 

The thought that I can mix multiple fabric lines together easily in this quilt pattern really interests me.

  I could make a quilt with a 'scrappy' look without having to spend the time cutting up all the scraps!

Gotta love it!

For more details, head over to The Fat Quarter Shop's blog, The Jolly Jabber where you'll see other Mini Charm Chocolate Quilts, the free pattern, and a video tutorial!










While I'm talking about projects you can do with The Fat Quarter Shop, I want to mention a special opportunity coming up in January, the Clementine Quilt Along benefiting St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

The Clementine Quilt features bright prints form Mama's Cottage by April Rosenthal by Moda.




Photo used with permission from The Fat Quarter Shop..



This upcoming Quilt Along runs from January through July of 2018, but the Clementine Quilt Kit can be pre-ordered now so you don't miss out on this charitable event.

Moda Fabrics and The Fat Quarter Shop are partners in this Quilt Along with proceeds benefiting St. Judes Children's Research Hospital.

It's something exciting coming up from The Fat Quarter Shop that I thought you might like to know about!


 I hope you find time this weekend to sew!
    


5 comments:

T Holzer said...

Your mini charm turned out beautifully! Have a fantastic weekend!

Hildy said...

Love how your quilt turned out it's beautiful!

Joyful Quilter said...

Your quilt turned out beautiful! I love Grunge fabrics. I have a ton of 2.5 inch scraps that would be perfect for this quilt.

em's scrapbag said...

Your quilt turned out beautifully. I too dislike cutting so this is a perfect option. Thanks for sharing.

Helen L said...

Love the grunge background with your mini's! It looks great, and I just may have some of that grunge!! :-) Hugs, H