Sunday, July 3, 2016

Star Bright Mini







Happy Fourth of July weekend everyone!

I just popped some watermelon flavored cupcakes in the oven to take to a cookout tomorrow and now I have a few minutes to show you the details of my Star Bright Mini Quilt that you saw in yesterday's Minis and More Parade.








This is a fun pattern!

 I love how the corners of the stars form some different secondary patterns and that the star corners actually form the same star in the middle of the quilt.








Sherri has a large version of this quilt that I love, and the fact that the corners of the stars form other stars is the reason why I like it so much.

Someday I'd love to make that one too!

You an find both the mini and the large versions of Star Bright in Sherri Mc Connell's Etsy shop here.








As I mentioned yesterday all of the fabrics in this mini came from my stash and I was happy about that!

I was hesitant to use the Boathouse binding at first.

I wasn't sure if it would be too busy, especially considering the patriotic text background that I used.  

But now I think the binding really goes well with the red and white text background and I'm happy with it.

Oh, and I was able to match up the pattern all the way around the binding.  I love it when that works out!

  





This quilting pattern is new to me and I think it looks great here.

I'd seen something similar on lots of flag quilts the last few weeks and I liked that it was simple, but yet it would give me interest and movement to the quilt so I gave it a try.








I drew and cut out a template, copied it onto my quilt once with the purple disappearing pen, then I quilted on that line.

For each line after that I just used the edge of my walking foot and ran it along the line before it.  

Every few lines I would use my template again to get my quilting lines back on track because I found that my quilting lines were gradually getting a bit straighter and what I liked about this pattern was the wave.

I'm definitely using quilting design again soon!



If you didn't catch the announcement yesterday, Sherri and I are hoping that more of you will participate in out Minis and More Parade each month, so we'll be giving monthly prizes now hoping that you'll play along with us as we make more mini quits and projects throughout the year!

The August Parade will feature free choice Christmas projects or any gift or project that you've made during the month.

Just send me an email or send one to Sherri from A Quilting Life with a picture of your project and a link to your blog if you have one and we'll include you in our Parade and our prize drawing.


I can't wait to see what you sew this month!


3 comments:

Hildy said...

I love your mini and thanks for sharing how you did your quilting! Just a question about the next parade: does it need to be a mini quilt or can it be a 'normal' quilt or other project, too?

Patty said...

Your mini is just darling! Great job with the quilting - I do wavy lines often.

Helen L said...

Beautiful quilt: so perfect to have a star quilt in red, white and blue! The quilting fits it so well too. :-) Hugs, H